Friday, May 18, 2007

Random thoughts

I have alot of love for my friends.

Was sitting next to one of my best friends a little while ago listening intently to a guest speaker who had travelled a long way to be there and it was obvious everyone present really respected him. The thing was, I had a great deal of difficulty to remain still and I was afflicted with the most inane desire to laugh. Laugh, bubble and boil and spurt over.
Not hysterically, just laughter, great chortling gasps. This was triggered by my friend's constantly rumbling stomache and whom i knew hadnt eaten the entire day. I had been attempting to feed her an omelette (which her mom had made for us within the span of time it took us to walk in the door, change our shoes and walk back out the door. I mean 'walk', in the relative sense...perhaps try: scramblerundashscrabble) in the car while she'd sped and cut around corners at breakneck speed in order to make the talks on time.

I remember really wanting to reach over, kiss her hair and cheeks and just wrap her up really close and laughing...while i was at it.

It's interesting. There have been times in the last 3 years when i have been incredibly upset, disturbed, unbalanced despite perhaps not showing it to most people. She was/is one of those few individuals I was simply happy being around with, it was soothing just to be around her and nothing more was needed.
Ok. so nothing lesbian about this. Though it has been said that I have tendencies. *chortle

3 comments:

Eastcoastdweller said...

Nothing in the world is "wrong" with having deep affection for a best friend, whether it crosses over to the "L word" or whether it is absolutely platonic and has nothing to do with sexual feeling.

Women are blessed, I think, to feel more able to be intimate with their female friends, in a way men, at least "straight" men, aren't, with other man. You'll see women put their heads together in a giggle, hold hands, share food, brush each other's hair.

Guys who consider themselves "straight" just don't do that.

And perhaps that is to be lamented.

Lance Abel said...

Guys do kiss, hug, say they love each other, and even do each other's hair n stuff...just that that kind of thing tends to happen in Italy or France, and not in the U.S.A

You are, though, showing a consistent bias towards women. A very straight guy thing to do? (of the non-mysogynist flavour)

Eastcoastdweller said...

Well, Lance, perhaps my most recent post (pizza place) might disabuse folks of the idea that I am biased in favor of all women.

The so-called lady in that scenario, I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

But the overwhelming, vast majority of women that I have encountered in my life, have been absolutely wonderful, admirable, intelligent beings, helping to keep the fire of my adoration well-stoked.