Tuesday, April 17, 2007

On Constructivity

Personal philosophy: I may bitch, whine, moan, groan, sigh, sniffle and complain --> but I realise the need for constructivity.

This has become a deeply ingrained part of my personality and my thought processes, such that I realise I cannot tolerate very well, this lack in others, or myself when I catch myself doing without it.

Very often, we question, why? what for? what good will it do?

But very often as well, why not? It's a start and something may crop up along the way, an opportunity may unfold where you didnt see it before, perspectives may change, relevant people and chances may be met. This is my answer to the effectiveness of rallies, fund-raisers, petitions, to that awkward catch-up talk between people who've had a falling out, that endless track of years towards the completion of a task, degree, job.

I just hope one day, I'm won't be that person, on that bus, on that day (like every other), crestfallen and despairing, stuck in a loop of self-pity and anger and failing to be constructive.

1 comment:

Lance Abel said...

Using what criteria do you decide for yourself when to ask Why, and when to ask Why Not?
Is there any way to be consistent here, and is that even desirable?
I find that the reasons for Why, most of the time, cannot be compared to the reasons for Why Not. And when this problem appears during "pros vs cons" thinking, how do you trade off the pros and cons with such qualitative differences? Obv this is different for different people, just interested in your own personal ways.